Gulmarg, India Ski Trip
Gulmarg, India ski trip
Who: Jack McCowan
Where: Gulmarg, India. Located near the Kashmir line of control which is a conflict point between Pakistan and India lies a small ski resort with one gondola. The only gondola in the Himalayan region rises from 8,500 ft to 10,000ft making it the highest gondola on earth. Untouched powder skiing is what one can expect on a Himalayan scale.
What: Jack will be working with a charity organisation called the NZ Ski Club of Kashmir which aims to teach the local kids from surrounding towns to ski over their 7 week winter school holidays. All equipment has been supplied for the kids and 4 instructors (2 snowboard and 2 ski) will introduce around 200 local kids to the joys of skiing/boarding. The aim of the program is to give back to the local community and involve them in this growing tourism destination for skiers and boarders. There might be an opportunity to go heli skiing for the first time or even to go ski touring in this destination of a lifetime.
When: Leaving on the 10th of January 2009 Jack will depart for a 7 weeks of work and maybe a week or two of exploring the local region.
Looking forward to:
- Experiencing a completely different world traveling, working and living in India for 7 weeks.
- Being part of the team teaching local kids how much fun skiiing can be.
- Just skiing the Himalayas and the fabled deep powder runs on offer.
- Capturing the experience of Gulmarg on video.
- … to see a monkey in a tree while I’m skiing would be awesome!